Sunday, October 3, 2010

Number 9: 1/2 Day Getaway

      High school football. Nothing like it. The smell
of October in the air. The lights, the cound, the frenzy. Oh,
don’t get me wrong. I never stepped foot on the field during a
game. I may be stupid, but I’m not crazy. I am built like a pop-
sicle stick with legs. Zero f-ball skills. But man could I talk. So
I spent my Friday nights up in the press box. (we called it the
bird’s nest.) I would give fans the lowdown from up high.

My first game in the bird’s nest I was chatting along, the door
flew open, and there stood the coach. Wait, the coach? Wasn’t
he suppose to be on the field? I felt like I was on a crashing
airplane and the pilot decided to step our for a moment. I
shouted, “Coach, what are you doing here!?” He stared out
onto the field and mumbles, “I needed a fresh perspective.” I
looked down at the sidelines and sure enough, chaos. Players
and coaches running around. Band playing. Parents shouting.
Cheerleaders cheering. Chaos. He needed to step out of the
situation, get away from everything, come to the bird’s nest,
and get a fresh perspective.

                             THE WORD
                     Take a time out, and look up Luke 5:12-15. Read it.
Did you see the Friday night frenzy? Jesus was on the playing field. There were parents shouting for Jesus to touch their
kids. There were cheerleaders cheering Him on. The assis-
tant coaches (disciples) were running around giving orders.
It was chaos. Jesus was right in the middle of it all. so what
did he do? He took off to the “bird’s nest.” He needed a fresh
perspective, so He got away from it all
It was just Him and God.

Have you ever called a time-out on your life to get a new per-
spective? Have you ever taken a ½ day and stepped away
from it all? I don’t mean get away to the mall or with your
buds to the beach. I mean just you an God?

                   If you have           When was it?
                                                Where’d you go?
                                                What did you get out of it?

LIFE LINK!
Now in the morning, having risen a long while before
daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary
place; and there He prayed.
(Mark 1:35)

          Write it down. Memorize it. Visualize it. See Jesus getting up
in the morning, quietly sneaking out to pray.


                   THE THING.
            ½ Day Getaway.
           
A good friend told me, “Dude, if you’re too busy to pray and spend time with God, you’re just too busy.” He taught me to get away and spend time with just me and my Father.

Spend a ½ day away from everything with just you and God. Get alone, sing praise songs, pray, read the Word, talk with God, shut-up and listen to God. Write down the thoughts that come to your mind. Ask about things that are happening in you life. Tell Him what you think. Just be with your Dad.
Use what we talked about earlier: prayer and Bible Surfing.

This is going to take some planning. It isn’t easy to get away by yourself for that long. But plan the time. It could be Saturday morning. Friday night. You pick the time. Look at your calendar now. Plan your time with God. What day are you going to do it? Where are you going to be? What are you taking with you? What time are you going to start and stop?


½ Day Checklist      This will totally help you focus on the Father.
·        Bible
·        Paper
·        Praise Music
·        Journal
·        Pen
·        Something to snack on – so you don’t get hungry and distracted

What do you think will happen when you get away? What will
be the biggest issues you have about actually doing it?

You are going to be wow-ed by what will happen when you get a new perspective. This isn’t going to be a one-time thing. Do it once a month. Set aside the time in advance. Plan next month’s date now! That way when someone asks you to do something next Saturday morning, you can say, “Oh, I can’t. I am hanging out with a friend of mine.” Make it happen.

You have until Sunday to figure out when, where, what, and all that stuff, so get planning. When we get together next Sunday tell the group about your plans.

PLAN IT. DO IT. GET A NEW PERSPECTIVE. YOU WILL BE AMAZED.


Rewind
How’s your lifestyle? Are you still putting new life in a new lifestyle?
-Revisit Number 3

No comments:

Post a Comment